Chocolatier Akua Obenewaa Donkor is a graduate of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology where she graduated with BA Communication Design. She is a young lady who has a great passion for Ghana’s Cocoa industry. It is her dream to see Ghana transform cocoa beans into delicious chocolate which will be consumed locally and internationally.
Akua has represented Ghana in Abidjan, Togo and France with her chocolates. In Abidjan, she represented Ghana in a competition where she took the 3rd place (MIVA Chocolate competition, 2016).
She was also selected to showcase her chocolates to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Her Royal Highness Princess Anne, daughter of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales. All of these, during their visit to Ghana.
As a way of giving back to society, she has a project called ‘I Love to read’ where she and her team build chocolate sculptures to raise funds for children in a cocoa growing village. The funds raised are used to purchase storybooks for these children. In her last project, the funds went towards the completion of a classroom block for the school.
• Honorary Award. Excellence in Social Enterprise, 2018
• ENGINE AWARDS, Top 10 Businesses to emerge out of the ENGINE Program, 2018
• British High Commissioner’s Special Recognition for Best ENGINE Graduate, 2017
• Vittles Cocoa Show, 1st Position, 2017
• MIVA Chocolate Competition, 1st Position, 2016